Friday, April 01, 2011

1 week down, stop being sentimental

i'm waiting for my mom to go online. she used to console me that i only have a few months left in school and i'll be back home again. i wasn't sure what to feel, whether to be actually happy about it. i know i'm excited to go home but at the same time, i'm also sad to leave. the clock is ticking. one week down, 9 weeks til graduation (i think!). as i've mentioned before, i still don't know where i'll be after grad - there are lots of possibilities, and i know if i'd have to come back here, i won't feel so bad about leaving in june, but i'll also be terribly homesick again. well, you can't have them all.

i saw thornton center on my way to the bookstore from Y2E2 this afternoon. i can still vividly remember the first day of CEE 270, going to that building without a map (forgot to bring it), calling a friend to ask for directions, sitting next to our TA who at first i thought was our classmate (good call not to ask him what other classes he's taking) and waiting for the rest of my classmates to show up (turns out, that was one of the rare occasions i was early in class). i remember the last day of that class too, i had a lump in my throat when our professor said his sort of farewell message... that's the only class where i see lots of people cos almost everyone in our program took it, so it was kind of sad knowing that it had ended.

being a sentimental junkie has its drawbacks. i have lots of stuff i can't bare to throw away, only to forget years later the reason i kept them. anyway... i have nine more weeks, and i know it's gonna go by in a blink. maybe that's why i'm writing more often now, it's like keeping a diary or writing a memoir.

it's too warm these days. i know i'll only get darker so i really have to start wearing sunblock. i can't be the same color as my dress at the wedding (i think it's brown or burgundy). i'm excited, i'd have longer hair by then and i can curl it, like i sometimes do on special occasions. i wonder how it'd feel to be a bridesmaid in a grand wedding (i'm pretty sure mine isn't going to be as 'engrande', i just want a fairly small solemn wedding with my family and closest friends - that's if i do get married). anyway... i'm just excited to be going home, maybe have wine with my friends (a new activity i've become fond of ever since our trip to napa valley) and chat under the stars. 8)

but i'd have to stop myself from being too excited so i can actually enjoy my last 2 months in stanford. i miss the cold weather, walking to class on a foggy morning and going home bundled up in a thick jacket and a scarf. i didn't expect it would be this warm too soon. i still haven't worn my fave boots that much. had a chance to wear them on a night out at napa though (my friends were expecting single men at the resto but the only guy who was 'hitting' on us was a middle-aged man from dallas!) but i hope i'd still get a chance to wear them more. now it's become so warm i'm itching to wear shorts. i hope someone can go shopping with me so i can update my wardrobe but some of my friends are going kayaking tomorrow - something i'd never enjoy until i learn to swim. :( i miss having guy friends that i can just ask to go with me anywhere. oh well.

okay, time to stop blogging and start rewriting notes (i know i'm such a nerd when FBDs and physics make me giddy, but i know i'm still normal when i cringe from looking at PDEs and ODEs). or read articles for my other classes. happy april fool's day stranger. :)